Evidence for God and the BibleBrian Kuehmichel
July 28, 2003, Updated Jan 2014
Table of Contents
Evidence for Jesus Christ - cont.
XI. Effects of Christ's power
A. Commanding authority of person and intellect http://www.themoorings.org/apologetics/towmind.html
B. Miracles during His ministry
1. Different from others in kind and verified by those who knew the beneficiary
a. Performed openly in crowds, in homes, on roadside
b. Cast out demons with full restoration of individual to society
c. Complete healing of all disease, malformation, speech impediment or paralysis even when born that way
d. Raised the dead 3 times with varied lengths of death
2. Power over nature
a. Fed crowds with handful of food
b. Calmed raging storms on the sea
c. Walked on water across the sea
3. Interpreted his miracles as signs that establish His credibility
a. Point to Himself as the Son of God
b. Emphasize His purpose in coming to earth
c. Teach spiritual truths
(1) Nicodemus recognized that His miracles verified His teaching.
(2) Disciples had criticism and encouraged to examine and judge His miracles.
C. Elevation and dignity of women
1. Cared for mother during His ministry and even on the cross
2. Revealed Himself as Messiah to a Samaritan woman John ch 4
3. Showed Himself raised from the dead to women first
4. Influenced disciples to respect and care for women
D.Our changed society
1. Vast historical evidence obtained by diverse researchers
See the following books:
- Under the Influence: How Christianity Transformed Civilization, by Schmidt, Alvin J., 2001 Zondervan Publishing Co.;
- What if Jesus Had Never Been Born?, by D. James Kennedy, 2001 Thomas Nelson Publishers;
- For the Glory of God : How Monotheism Led to Reformations, Science, Witch-Hunts, and the End of Slavery, by Rodney Stark, 2003 Princeton U. Press (written by an agnostic documenting Christianity's positive effects on history);
- How Christianity Changed the World, by Alvin J. Schmidt, 2004 Zondervan;
- Under the Influence: How Christianity Transformed Civilization, by Schmidt, Alvin J., 2004 Zondervan Publishing Co.;
- What Has Christianity Ever Done For Us?: How It Shaped the Modern World, by Jonathan Hill, 2005 Intervarsity Press
[See this astounding quote from a Chinese Communist researcher describing the remarkable impact of Christianity in shaping Western civilization.];
- The Victory of Reason: How Christianity Led to Freedom, Capitalism, and Western Success, by Rodney Stark, 2005, Random House;
- Whats's So Great About Christianity, by Dinesh D'Souza, (2007) Washington, DC: Regnery Publishing;
- How Christianity Made the Modern World, by Paul Backholer (2009);
- The Book That Made Your World: How the Bible Created the Soul of Western Civilization, by Vishal Mangalwadi, 2011 Thomas Nelson Publishers;
- The Triumph of Christianity, by Rodney Stark, 2012, HarperOne;
- CONFIRM THY SOUL, AMERICA, by James A. Weber, 2012, Xulon Press;
- The Prince of Peace Jesus of Nazareth, by James J. Drummey, The New American, December 25, 2013
Contrast these with the horrific damages of non-Christian ideologies:
- WAR ISN'T THIS CENTURY'S BIGGEST KILLER, by R.J. Rummel, published in The Wall Street Journal, 7/7/1986;
- Who Really Cares: The Surprising Truth About Compassionate Conservatism, by Arthur C. Brooks, James Q. Wilson, 2007, Basic Books
2. Transformed lives documented in history
a. Civilization of barbarian men based upon transforming power of Christ in forgiving sins and effecting change into God's image.
Examples: http://www.breakpoint.org/bpcommentaries/, The Martyrs of Lyons, Great Christians' Testimonies and Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners by John Bunyan.
b. Compassion and mercy based upon human dignity and worth for man created in God's image. (insane asylums, prisons, hospitals, sanitariums, Red Cross, pro-life centers, adoption agencies, battered women's shelters and similar compasssion ministries, charities, philanthropic foundations, et cetera.)
3. Transformed cultures from the transformed lives via improved sanitation, health, education, medicine, sciences, literature, music, industry safety programs, business ethics, et cetera.
a. Education for all based upon knowing, sharing and researching the Word and creation of God.
b. Government without oppression based upon equal value of all mankind. (Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the united States, 1776 [correct spelling])
c. Civil liberties based upon Beatitudes. (English common law and derivatives in present day law)
d. Science and exploration built upon scriptural basis of foundational truths: creation is orderly, can be researched, and understood.
e. Business and free enterprise built upon honesty and integrity and property rights.
f. Beauty and dignity of human sexuality based upon God as founder of marriage.
g. World's great art, music, poetry, prose, et cetera based upon returning praise and honor to God.
(To read Scripture References, Click Here for Online Bible)
-1- | -2- | -3- | -4- | -5- | -6- | -7- | -8- | -9- | -10- | -11- | -12- | -13- | -14- | -15- | —16— | -17- | -18- | -19- | -20-